HISTORY

A history that is interweaved with that of Rio de Janeiro itself

Situated on the street Rua Macedo Sobrinho, in the Rio de Janeiro neighborhood of Humaitá, Casa de Saúde São José is one of the city’s most traditional health institutions. To share its story, we must go all the way back to June 16, 1897, the date marking the arrival to Brazil of the first four Sisters from the Santa Catarina Congregation, founded by Mother Regina Protmann in Germany in 1571. Mother Regina abandoned all comfort in life to dedicate her time to the sick confined to their homes and the education of youth, creating the Catholic Church’s 1st “Active Life Congregation.”

Upon their arrival to Brazil, the four Sisters moved to the city of Petrópolis and started the Santa Catarina High School. Nurses by training, they traveled to Rio de Janeiro in 1915 to work at the São Francisco de Paula Hospital, where they remained for six years. After that, they decided to rent a house on the street D. Carlota to assist the poor. In 1922, in order to improve their conditions for offering patient care, they decided to set up their own health clinic.

That led to the foundation of Casa de Saúde São José in 1923, on a terrain with a home at the address Rua Macedo Sobrinho, No. 21, acquired from the family of Marechal Bittencourt, one of the heirs of the traditional Guilhobel Family, and created with the initial purpose of providing shelter to the elderly and seriously ill under the protection of Saint Joseph, the families’ patron saint. The institution quickly earned the respect of both physicians and patients and the demand for its services gradually increased, making it necessary to increase its hospital care capacity.

 

Technology, Safety and Comfort

Casa de Saúde São José is one of the country’s most prestigious and well-equipped hospitals. Modern, comfortable and with state-of-the-art biomedical technology, it has a clinical team made up of the most qualified and experienced physicians in the city of Rio de Janeiro. With assistance offered in approximately 30 specialties, the institution also offers minimally invasive surgery. The hospital generally performs 300 births and 2,000 surgeries per month.