The first four sisters of the
Santa Catarina Congregation arrived in Brazil on May
18th, 1897. The Congregation was founded in Germany in
1552 by Soror Regina. She abandoned the comforts of
her home and her family to dedicate herself to caring
for sick people and to educating youngsters, creating
the First Congregation of the Catholic Church with an
active life. The sisters settled in Petrópolis
where they founded the Santa Catarina School. In 1915
the nurse sisters nurse came to Rio de Janeiro and worked
on the São Francisco de Paula Hospital for the
following six years. Afterwards, the sisters decided
to rent a house on Carlota Street in order to attend the poor.
In order to improve the quality of care, they decided
to found their own hospital in 1922. They took a loan
and bought a property on 21 Macedo Sobrinho Street.
The Casa de Saúde São José was
inaugurated in 1923.
Casa de Saúde São
José has a total area of more than 625 sq miles
and a complete infrastructure to support medical care.